Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ready, again

Last Sunday was perfect.  Okay, maybe it was a bit cold on Staten Island at 6:00 in the morning, but I certainly wasn't going to complain.  A few hours later, I was running across the Verrazano Bridge with Geoffrey Mutai, Priscah Jeptoo, Meb Keflezighi, and the rest of the first wave of runners in the largest marathon in history.  I executed my race plan flawlessly, finishing in 03:28:17, a personal record at this distance by more than five minutes.

A few days later, I received a letter in the mail indicating that the $9,177 I raised with the 2013 Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge team contributed to a grand team total of $4,753,873.68, benefitting the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research.


I feel really good about these accomplishments, and at the moment, am very excited to announce that I'll once again have the opportunity to run with DFMC in the 2014 Boston Marathon.


This has, however, been an extremely difficult post to write.  The truth is that I have had mixed feelings about participating in next year's race, and a difficult time articulating why.  I've avoided thinking too much about the events of April 15th, 2013 and the days that followed, and I think in some ways I've worried that next year's race will be too focused on the horrible things that happened, even if discussed in an optimistic context.


While I may have more to say on the matter later, in the meantime I'll say this: acts of violence toward others, disease, and natural disasters are a part of the world we live in. But so are cheering crowds of people, smiling boys and girls looking for high-fives along the side of the road, and hugs from loved ones for those most in need.  There are good things in this world, and at a marathon you don't have to look too far to find them.  I feel humbled and honored to be given the opportunity to experience it, and want to be an inspiring reminder to people that it exists.


And so I'll be donning my DFMC singlet again with pride in April.  Between now and then, I'll be doing my best to influence change in one way I'm able: by raising money for cancer research and treatment.  Thanks to the extreme generosity I've witnessed from all of you, I've set this year's goal at $10,000.  Please help me hit it by making a donation!


As with last year, one way in which I hope to raise money is by selling baked goods.  Kristen and I are happy to donate time, flour, butter and sugar if it will bring in some donations, so please consider one of the following for this Thanksgiving season:



ItemDescriptionSuggested Donation
Mini Cheesecake SamplerThis sampler box contains 4 three-inch cheesecakes, one of each of the following flavors (2-3 servings per pastry).

Black and White: New York-style vanilla cheesecake with chocolate ganache and chocolate cookie crust

Berries and Cream: New York-style vanilla cheesecake with strawberry swirl and graham cracker crust

Pecan Praline: Vanilla and praline cheesecake with gingersnap-pecan crust

Pumpkin Spice: Pumpkin spice cheesecake with gingersnap crust
$50
Mini Pie SamplerThis sampler box contains 4 three-inch pies/tarts, one of each of the following flavors (2-3 servings per pastry):

Classic Apple Pie:
 Tender, flaky crust loaded with spiced apples

Bourbon Maple Pumpkin Pie: A twist on the Thanksgiving classic

Pecan Pie Tart:
Scrumptious and buttery tart shell loaded with sticky-sweet pecans

Chocolate Tart: A rich and elegant delight for the chocolate lovers at your table
$50
Breakfast BasketBack by popular demand!
  • Maple Granola with coconut, walnuts, and dried cranberries
  • 1/2 lb Coffee
  • Chocolate chip pancake mix
  • Cinnamon coffee cake bread or cranberry walnut bread
$50

Pick-up dates: Wednesday, November 27th or Thursday morning, November 28th

Order deadline: Saturday, November 23rd
To place an order: Send an email to jeffruns4dfmc@gmail.com with details about what you'd like to purchase and when you'll need it. Payment can be made upon pick-up, with a check made out to Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge.

Thank you in advance for all of your support and generosity.



No comments:

Post a Comment